Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor eligible family members for permanent residence in Canada. Sponsors must live in Canada, must meet minimum financial requirements and must undertake to provide financial support and basic requirements for their sponsored family members.
Family members who are eligible to be sponsored
- A spouse, common law partner or conjugal partner who is not less than 16 years of age
- Dependent children who are under 19 years of age and are single (unmarried, or not in a common law or conjugal relationship)
- Dependent children 19 years of age or more who are financially dependent on a parent
- Adopted children
- Brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews or grandchildren who are orphans, under 18 years of age, and single (unmarried, or not in a common law or conjugal relationship)
- Any other family member if you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or who is a foreign national who you are eligible to sponsor.